Saturday, April 4, 2015

Economic Security For Our Community- Home Based Businesses

I came across a great post on LAF about home based businesses, and I think it's something eveyone who is not currently a business owner should consider.  There are great tax advantages to owning a home based business, and it can also ensure greater economic security for you and your family if you are laid off from your job.  I have run a home based business myself, and I also have experience selling insurance and investments.  Currently, I work full-time for a paid salary, but I am considering starting a part-time business on the side, since my youngest daughter is getting a little older.  Being a business owner is something I really love.  You get to work with people who you really connect with, and it gives you a lot of freedom and empowerment.  And, of course, having your business online is vital, in my opinion.  So, if you are currently working for a minimum wage job, and are having a tough time making ends meet, consider starting a home-based business.  One avenue to consider is direct selling through home parties.  The book I use as a resource is "Be A Party Plan Superstar", by Mary Christensen.  Other business books I would recommend is:

"EntreLeadership- 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches", by Dave Ramsey.

"The New Business Road Test- What Entrepreneurs Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan", by John Mullins.

"Selling In Tough Times- Secrets To Selling When No One Is Buying", by Tom Hopkins.

"The Handmade Marketplace- How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and Online", by Kari Chapin.

You might ask, what could I do?  What could I sell?  Well, the possibilities are endless.  You can go to either the library, or to a used bookstore, Amazon.com, or You Tube videos and learn how to make crafts, repair appliances, sew and make clothing and home decor, jewelry, candles, soap, canned foods, or fiber art.  Or maybe you know how to play an instrument or sing, well, then you could give lessons.

I personally believe in having a knowledge of how to make just about anything we use or consume.  So, even if you make something and you don't sell it, it can be for your own personal use, or given as a gift.  And, the more you know how to make yourself, the more you wealth you can create for your family.

Anyone looking for specific instructions on how to make something, you can e-mail me at: cultureisart@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment