Thursday, March 26, 2015

St. Albans Community Essay Contest: The Meaning of Community

Some of you may wonder why I chose to create this blog.  Well, for one, I was born and raised here in St. Albans, VT.  I am grateful for the period of time I lived away, in both California and Connecticut, because it gave me a different perspective of home.  There is something to be said for feeling a sense of connection with where you come from.  Two, I REALLY care about people, all people.  I know some of you may have a different impression, based on some of my rants you may have read, or gossip you might have heard going around, but, really, the well being of other people is something that I care about very deeply.  Maybe that's why I am doing this blog.  I am a problem solver by nature, and a perfectionist.  If you think I've been hard on others, you have no idea how hard I am on myself.  When I complain, nag, and yes, sometimes harshly criticize, it's because I know either I can do better, or that maybe someone I've encountered can do better.  So, it's not because I'm trying to tear anyone down, it's that I'm trying to push others to push themselves harder.  To do better.  To care more.  More about yourself, more about your family, more about your co-workers, and more about your community members.  Life is just better when everyone cares about each others well being, and when everyone is striving to do their best.  I want everyone in our community to have every opportunity to be able to develop to their fullest potential, to experience fulfillment, health and wellness, happiness, dignity, and respect in every area of their lives.  Their homes, their places of work, and when they are out and about in our community.  We all deserve the best, and nothing less.

So, with that said, I would like to hear from folks in our community on what their definition of community is, and if they could create the ideal community and lifestyle, what would that look like?  Please send submissions to:  cultureisart@gmail.com

Submissions will be accepted until April 30, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment